PDA

View Full Version : How long until we see some data?

benwrigley
20-02-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm sure I'm being impatient, but how long does it take for the graphs at samknows to populate with data?

I can see packet loss and latency, but the download stream still claims to have no data. Perhaps the box starts out with smaller tests first?

Ben

gbrown100
20-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Ben,

I don't know the answer to that one i'm afraid, if you are seeing the loss and latency it sounds like it is communicating OK but it may need to get a few more statistics before it is able to update the download details. Maybe give it another week and see what you get.

Graham

RobL
20-02-2012, 04:26 PM
You should see something within 2 hours once it is talking back to base. That of course depends on how busy your network is when it attempts each individual test. It will attempt all tests once in each elapsed hour period.

Do you have any statistics on how busy your network is?

epinnell
20-02-2012, 08:36 PM
I am in the same position as Ben Wrigley - only a small nember of the data charts show data in them - I have sent amessage to Sam Knows via their website asking when to expect to see data measurements across all the categories.

RobL
20-02-2012, 10:55 PM
I'd give it 24 hours for some of the data points that report 24 hour periods. Although data may be arriving, the query at Sam Knows might want 24 hours worth of values before reporting the graph correctly.

We can dig into Sam Knows a bit more after a day or so to ask why some values and not others are appearing in their reporting. I can also look into the raw results that are building in our own database, which is created from the Sam Knows database.

FYI - we have 24 active units out of 63 deployed now which is great. Looking for 63/63 of course!

Kevin
21-02-2012, 06:43 AM
I've had my white box for about 3 months, and the graphs I see show download throughput data for midnight, 6am, midday, 6pm and then hourly until midnight. It misses out some of the evening download tests when the line is in use.

Andy A
21-02-2012, 08:44 AM
I see latency, packet loss, RTP packet loss and RTP jitter, and these all have a daily scale on the graph axis. All other measurements have a weekly scale, maybe we just need to wait a week?

benwrigley
22-02-2012, 04:00 PM
You could be right, although my reports claim to be by Day and if I drill in it claims to have performed no tests. I'll wait the full week and see if anything starts to show

benwrigley
24-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I emailed SamKnows help team a couple of days ago and just got a response saying that they had to 'rebuild the package for my unit' and that 'it will start testing shortly'.

I haven't seen anything yet, but if people want to do what I did then:

1. Login to your samKnows portal
2. Bottom left is a 'Contact Us' link [Ed: Please don't - Sam Knows aren't setup to deal with direct queries. Please this forum! Thanks --RobL]
3. I wrote: 'I installed a whitebox on 20th Feb and I can see latency and ping tests fine but so far I have no data in the downstream, upstream, DNS, website areas. Do I need to configure something differently or just be more patient?'

I will post here again when it starts collecting data.

Good luck!

Ben

Ivan
24-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Ben,

What is the URL for the samknows portal?

Thanks

Ivan

benwrigley
24-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry Ivan,

url is https://reporting.samknows.com/

you'll need your password to login but doesn't sound as though you've received this yet from your other thread.

Ben

epinnell
25-02-2012, 06:24 AM
Ben - that's almost exectly what I have done too, with the same result so far. Still waiting for the charts that as yet are not showing any data to start working. Latency and packet loss are working as before so the box does seems to be performing some hourly tests.

In fact I sent Sam knows a second email and got a second response as follows (my entire email chain with Sam Knows is pasted below) - any ideas anyone?

"Thanks

I downloaded some video from iTunes yesterday evening at about 10pm, but that only took about 30 mins and I am not aware of any large downloads or uploads before or since then.

Would that type of activity normally cause the white box to not be able to function properly and for the various charts not to be populated with data?

What is the "threshold"?

regards

-------------------------------------------
Sent: 24 February 2012 14:33:00
To: edward pinnell
Subject: Re: speldhurst & SamKnows Reporting System - Contact Form [ ref:_00D206gmX._500D0HGOit:ref ]
Auto forwarded by a Rule

Hi Edward,

We have built a new package for the unit, but your breaching your threshold which means your downloading and uploading a very large file.

Regards
Mo

--------------- Original Message ---------------
Sent: 23/02/2012 22:40
To: community@samknows.com
Subject: Re: speldhurst & SamKnows Reporting System - Contact Form [ ref:_00D206gmX._500D0HGOit:ref ]

OK thanks - but can't see any change in the charts. the unit seems to be
performing hourly test because i can see the results for Latency for
example. But several other charts have no data in them at all including
Downstream Throughput

Edward Pinnell
----- Original Message -----
To: <edward.pinnell@btconnect.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:18 PM
Subject: RE: speldhurst & SamKnows Reporting System - Contact Form [
ref:_00D206gmX._500D0HGOit:ref ]

> Hi Pinnell,
>
> I have built a new package for the unit it should be back to normal with
> in the next hour or so.
>
>
> Regards
> Mo
>
>
> --------------- Original Message ---------------
> From: [edward.pinnell@btconnect.com]
> Sent: 20/02/2012 21:33
> To: community@samknows.com
> Subject: speldhurst & SamKnows Reporting System - Contact Form
>
> Unit ID: Name: Pinnell EdwardEmail:
> edward.pinnell@btconnect.comFeedback:
> Unit #xxxxx

>
> I installed this unit on Saturday evening 18th February 2012.
>
> Since then the only data that shows on the various charts is for Latency,
> Packet Loss, RTP Jitter and RTP Packet Loss.
>
> All the other measurements say "No data for this time period"
>
> Is that normal?
>
> Thanks
>
> edward.pinnell@btconnect.com
>
> Mohamed Issam
> SamKnows Limited

stonewall100
26-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Many people have now had their white boxes for week and so I am curious to know whether there is still a problem with viewing data, and in particular download speeds. If there is then we (the BB Team) can do some focused sleuthing to identify the cause and get it sorted.
Lawrence

epinnell
26-02-2012, 11:30 AM
For me at least the only data that shows on the various charts is for Latency, Packet Loss, RTP Jitter and RTP Packet Loss. All the other chart say no data available

Thanks

stonewall100
26-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I have received this email a few moments ago from another user:

Still not functioning for down and upstream. My old fashioned way using even btspeedtester shows around 6.7Mb and 380 for the upload. These figures change very little. I certainly have not been very active using the internet so that is not a reason why it is not doing anything. Would seem they have a problem.
Unquote

I agree that there appears to be a problem. There is a meeting of the tech members of the Committee tonight so will put this on the agenda and try to get a quick fix.
Lawrence

RobL
26-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi Ivan,

It's https://reporting.samknows.com

Please do use this forum for any queries BEFORE contacting Sam Knows directly. The deal is we field as much help desk traffic as possible before we escalate to them. Ben's case does seem to be a configuration issue at the Sam Knows infrastructure, which we're happy to escalate when it's clear that is the problem.

Thanks.
--Rob.

jiml
26-02-2012, 12:37 PM
In view of Chris Woodward's e-mail I am assukming that we do NOT contact SamKnows. But does anyone know when this bit of kit will start showing the information it was installed to gather?

RobL
26-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Correct Jim.
The units should be calling home within a couple of hours. We've raised a technical query with Sam Knows about the lack of Downstream Throughput statistics appearing in peoples' reporting graphs (some, not all). We're talking about it tonight in a working party meeting.

We'll notify everyone via the forum when we've got a) an explanation and b) better information on what to expect, when.

Thanks.
--Rob.

djs1
26-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi all
I have been connected for the past few days and the only things I'm getting on the Samknows graphs are latency and packet loss as well. I have my white box linked to my bt home hub using the cable that the white box came with going into the blue box on the back of the white box. As I am wireless I have nothing to plug into the yellow boxes on the back of the white box. I'm starting to wonder - am I connected up properly??

stonewall100
26-02-2012, 05:01 PM
There appears to be a bit of a common problem with the viewing of certain parameters (incl download speed) and Rob is working on it now - I suspect your unit is connected OK
Lawrence

benwrigley
27-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi All,

I'm pleased to say that my unit is (as of 5pm yesterday) running all the tests.

Obviously I did the wrong thing by contacting SamKnows (slap wrists) but it did work.

@lawrence, perhaps you can use mine as an example of what needs fixing when you contact SamKnows? unit id #20489

Ben

Andy A
27-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Just to let people know that my downstream and upstream throughput measurements ( and others bar video streaming) have started. Having just started they only show as a point on the graph but if I look at the detail I can see it started at 5:00pm yesterday. Hopefully now coming on for everybody else.

RobL
27-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Andy and Ben,

There was no magic here :cool: ... I had a conversation with Sam Knows, and there was a configuration problem which was quickly fixed once we had some unit numbers and examples to represent the issue.

It's much better for one of us to engage with Sam Knows on your behalf, as they are a small team (not much bigger than we are) and can't deal with large numbers of questions from a large user base. To be fair, once these things are up and running, they're pretty much "lights out", set and forget.

I'm getting close to releasing my own GoogleMap soon, which is much more exciting than the Sam Knows reporting page [SMILE].

Thanks for your help in diagnosing the stats problem via the forum.

--Rob.

stonewall100
27-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Ben,
More reports are coming in of fully working units so am hoping we are now all up and and running.

PS What does the "jamming" element of your email signify?

Lawrence

jiml
28-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Mine also working now - but the figures are more depressing than I feared!