Thread: Community Fibre - what it's all about

Talking Community Fibre - what it's all about

If you live in the countryside your broadband is likely to be slow and unreliable.

The necessary investment for next generation rural broadband from the big telecom players is not happening. This is because it is very expensive for them to install better broadband and there are fewer customers to buy the services. Without public money, our money, commercial companies are unwilling to invest.

B4RS Community Fibre has been set up to do something about it...

B4RS Community Fibre's goal is to build a fibre optic network which will differ from the commercial alternatives from BT or other telecoms companies. It will be a high quality 1Gbps (1000Mbps) future proofed solution, owned and operated by the community.
    Please watch this website for imminent updates and information on how you can help.
    --
    IM me to chat

Can anyone from the Broadband Commitee tell me the outcome, take-aways, etc from the DEFRA/KCC initiative meeting held on 18th April?

BBC1 are broadcasting "Rip Off Britain" tonight (25/4/12) at 1930h. Subject is "slow broadband" speeds. You might even be able to watch it at a later date on BBC iPlay (providing our local broadband speed decides to be up to scratch!!)

Paul W

Hi Paul,

Yep - I've set my alarm clock.

Chris Woodward and Kevin were at the meeting, so I'll defer the response to one of them in preference to misquoting anything.

Thanks,
    --RobL.
    --
    IM me to chat

Lightbulb Rip off Britain on Broadband - BBC1 tonight ...

And for those who are wondering how this mess will ever change ... the answer is ...

COMMUNITY FIBRE

Fibre-trans.jpg

... breaking the stranglehold that ISP shareholders and incumbent operators have while operating their cartel to ensure they maximise profits and prolongue the painful reliance on copper.

We're still looking for individuals who can offer help within the community to drive the business case, delivery and operation of the project. Get in touch with us here at B4RS! Come on in ... the water is fine, and it doesn't rust the glass.

Thanks,
    --RobL.
    Last edited by RobL; 25-04-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    --
    IM me to chat

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    Can anyone from the Broadband Commitee tell me the outcome, take-aways, etc from the DEFRA/KCC initiative meeting held on 18th April?

BBC1 are broadcasting "Rip Off Britain" tonight (25/4/12) at 1930h. Subject is "slow broadband" speeds. You might even be able to watch it at a later date on BBC iPlay (providing our local broadband speed decides to be up to scratch!!)

Paul W
    It seems BBC1 swapped the programmes, and forgot to tell the folks at TiVo/Virgin/Radio Times/etc. Ah well.
    --
    IM me to chat

The programme was shown on BBC1 last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ing)_Episode_7

They showed the case history of Robin Hood Bay and their use of a wireless solution, which works well to a degree for part of the area because of it's geographical layout http://www.rhbmesh.net

Lawrence

Smile UP TO gets a bloody nose ... and Wifi mesh networks

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall100 View Post
    The programme was shown on BBC1 last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ing)_Episode_7

They showed the case history of Robin Hood Bay and their use of a wireless solution, which works well to a degree for part of the area because of it's geographical layout http://www.rhbmesh.net

Lawrence
    Good programme. Starts with a clear attack on the "UP TO" nonsense - BT are only allowed to advertise speeds which 10% of customers actually GET. So that reduces the "up to 20Mbps" straight down to "up to 16Mbps" and that's in the URBAN areas! 1 in 10 people get that ... imagine the demographics in the countryside?

Robin's Bay bit starts at 22:16 through the film if you'd like to fast forward. Classic community spirit "just doing it". I liked the helpdesk in the pub and the independence of their initiative from the big providers who've never been to Robin's Bay. Wireless mesh networks have issues with throughput and concurrency when one or two people start to hog the bandwidth. I know of one in West Malling that is no more, due to aggressive competition and political differences. Although your WiFi modem says you are connected at "54 Mbps", what you get is very dependent on random events outside your control. There is nobody to fix it when it goes wrong, as nobody is responsible. Food for thought.

We're lucky enough to get an average of 3.3Mbps across Speldhurst parish (54 data points from Sam Knows whiteboxes). I say that is holding us back. Angela Rippon's "hope" at 27:30 in the film, that our government will upgrade us to "the fastest broadband in Europe", is I'm afraid nonsense. BDUK's 530M is short of the 15-20 billion that would be needed to provide ubiquitous fibre across the UK. BDUK intends to provide the money to Fujitsu or BT, who are the sole remaining bidders for the procurement contracts. After that, our government sits back and hopes those shareholder vendors decide to deploy super fast broadband out into the countryside. The reason they haven't, and more importantly won't, is it isn't profitable for them, or they would have done it already. Sucking public money, our money, will push it a little further, and how much further depends on how much profit those companies want to make. I'm not waiting for that not to happen.

My business opportunities are definitely negatively affected by having such poor speeds, with no realistic way of getting data into the cloud. My kids get fed up with iPlayer freezing when daddy's doing a conference call. Downloading a Microsoft service pack means we don't watch iPlayer either.

Time to change.

--RobL.
    Last edited by RobL; 02-05-2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: wifi, mesh, Robin Hoods Bay
    --
    IM me to chat

Cool B4RN scoops the ISPA internet hero award!

Reported a few moments ago (I should be asleep) by Ian Grant.

It's all here: http://br0kent3l3ph0n3.wordpress.com/2012/07/04/b4rn-scoops-ispa-intenet-hero-award/

E
    njoy!

--RobL.
    --
    IM me to chat

B4RN community fibre network

Here's a great article describing the B4RN (Broadband for the Rural North) community project up in Lancashire. It explains the benefits and motivation of an energised community that got fed up waiting for their local authority and BDUK to provide ... "something", without describing when or where that "something" would be provided.

In Speldhurst and surrounding parishes, Kent County Council is working with BT to upgrade a number of street cabinets to "FTTC", which means if you live close (within 1.2Km, as the cable crawl) to an upgraded cabinet, you will probably get vastly improved broadband to what you have today. It is all a lottery however, as you could be 10yards fromt he cabinet, and because your bit of copper from the cabinet to your house is rusty or rodent fodder, you get no difference at all. BT aren't obligated to do anything about that, as their normal service level suggests as long as you get 5Mbps or maybe 10Mbps (it's hard to pin them down) then they are under no obligation to fix anything.

Anyway - I digress. Here's the article telling the wonderful B4RN story. Enjoy!

http://b4rn.org.uk/rural-broadband-t...its-made-to-me

Regards,
    --RobL.
    --
    IM me to chat