Thread: Had enough going to try Satellite Broadband

Had enough going to try Satellite Broadband

Over the last week my speeds have dropped from a pathetic but usable 3.5mbps, to a prehistoric 0.3-0.5 Mbps.

I have had enough of this appalling "service" we receive from BT, and after several protracted phonecalls to somewhere in India that have done exactly nothing to remedy my problem, I am now going to try a Satellite based broadband service from Avonline.

They're promising 18mbps DL and 6mbps UL with a 50gb limit. It's not cheap at 65 a month, but frankly I don't care.

The installers are coming on Thursday am, so I shall keep this page updated with my findings, good or bad.

Bear in mind, that if you do a lot of online gaming, use VPN or VOIP, your service may be worse than with ADSL.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...nd-gaming.html

This was always one of the reasons I chose not to install satellite broadband, because I do a lot of online gaming, and the lag/poor pings would mean I'd suffer worse than normal.

Nige.

Quote Originally Posted by Shempz View Post
    Bear in mind, that if you do a lot of online gaming, use VPN or VOIP, your service may be worse than with ADSL.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...nd-gaming.html

This was always one of the reasons I chose not to install satellite broadband, because I do a lot of online gaming, and the lag/poor pings would mean I'd suffer worse than normal.

Nige.

Hi,

Yes I was aware of the latency issues with a 680ms ping. But as I mostly just want to stream content, it shouldn't be an issue.

Installers came this morning, but were missing a part integral to the dish. They were very apologetic, but they won't be able to fit until January now.

Satellite latency ... and the distribution of RCBF funds to shareholders

Quote Originally Posted by PDane View Post
    Hi,

Yes I was aware of the latency issues with a 680ms ping. But as I mostly just want to stream content, it shouldn't be an issue.

Installers came this morning, but were missing a part integral to the dish. They were very apologetic, but they won't be able to fit until January now.
    The latency aside, the 50GB limit may prove challenging once you get used to a "mediocre" 18Mbps downstream. I'm regularly hitting 120-130GB per month using my ADSL2+ which clocks an average downstream of a carefully measured 18.3 Mbps pretty much 24x7. Upstream remains a paltry 1.2Mbps, but it appears completely uncontended based on my measurements. No surprise, as BT ADSL infrastructure is designed in this excessively asynchronous way and they still assume, despite market trends, that noone wants upstream bandwidth for anything. Explain that to every single cloud backup provider offering backup to the internet. Consider also every Apple iPhone using backup to iCloud.

Very interested to hear how you get on with the satellite service - I've used one before, and helped with the deployment of one to a pan-European car company. They used it to upload sales numbers and inventory info mainly. Batch job, high security, were the requirements. VoIP and interactive video not really workable.

How long are you tied into the satellite contract for? Once the TWBC/KCC RCBF public funds have been spent by BT or whoever wins them (with performance promises/guarantees we're not allowed to see), we'll no doubt have to work out where the new boundaries of "reasonable" service are (not THAT far outside of Speldhurst and Langton - almost certainly ZERO change to Ashurst or Old Groombridge), the Community Fibre business case will have new parameters and the handle will be cranked again. The timing could be very useful to you after a year of satellite latency.

Thanks,
    --RobL.
    --
    IM me to chat

Good luck with the Sat. My experience with the Scottish Govt subsidised provision in the Highlands via Avanti has not been good. 20 a month for about 400kbps!!!! and it is fairly often out of service still.