Thread: Am having a problem with my white box

Am having a problem with my white box

Dear Experts,
    One of our new white box holders has a problem and I do not know the solution and so I am making this post on his behalf:

I connected the white box as instructed only to find I could receive e-mail messages, but sadly not send any. Please can someone help?
    Unquote

He will soon become a Forum user and can then pick up the thread.

Thanks

Perhaps he needs to tell his router firewall what the IP address of his computer is and tell it to allow e-mails out.
    This happens to me when I take my laptop to the office. E-mails can come in to me but can't go out - that is, until I tell the office firewall that I have permission.
    jiml

I would be interested to know what his computer configuration is and whether there's anything unusual about it. (i) Is/are his computer(s) hard wired through the white box to the router? Or (ii) is he just using wireless connections. Or (iii) both. Also what software is he using for his mail - Outlook by any chance?

Hi,

I suspect the person in question is using firewall software, I doubt this is anything to do with the actual router.

When you make a change to an network connection the firewall software will commonly pick this up and frequently will default to an "Unsafe Network" mode that is very restrictive. It does normally prompt for action but of course most people simply click on "Accept" to anything that comes up on the screen, I too am guilty of this.

Please can you let me know which version of windows this machine is running and also what security package they have (i.e. Norton, McAfee, AVG etc). To identify the version of windows click on Start, right click on "Computer or My Computer" and select properties - the version will be displayed there.

Thanks

Graham

My white box has given up on me. I noticed that all the lights were out and have been unable to restore them. The power supply is fine because the router works on its own with the power plugged direct into it and the white box removed. Any ideas?

Robin Webster

Good morning Robin,
    Sorry to hear about the box. We are onto it and either Rob or myself will get back to you soon.
    Lawrence

Hi Robin,
    SamKnows will replace your box so pl can I collect it. I have your address so just let me know when convenient.
    Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall100 View Post
    Dear Experts,
    One of our new white box holders has a problem and I do not know the solution and so I am making this post on his behalf:

I connected the white box as instructed only to find I could receive e-mail messages, but sadly not send any. Please can someone help?
    Unquote

He will soon become a Forum user and can then pick up the thread.

Thanks
    Lawrence - I'm afraid this is not related to the Whitebox. The Whitebox is configured to operate as a transparent bridge - it effectively "doesn't exist" on the network. It will ask for a DHCP address, and that's it. Traffic passes straight through it.

The fact that they can receive Email suggests a problem elsewhere, as connectivity to the Internet is operational.

--RobL
    --
    IM me to chat

Just for the record, the alleged " problem" was sorted out before I returned the white box. Embarrassingly, what happened was that the wrong power cable had been inserted into the white box. There are just too many wires coming out of my computer!
    Robin W