Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Significant drop in download speed

Significant drop in download speed

Has anyone else noted a major drop in download speed in recent days. For the past month or so I have had a stable 6.9 Mbps 24/7. On 8 March this suddenly dropped to 1.76 Mbps 24/7. Exactly the same has happened to a neighbour. The beauty of the white box is that I now have a detailed record of this (see attachment showing the difference between 7 March and 8 March). It does not appear to be a contention problem because the speed remains constant. I plan to write to BT with the evidence, asking to be returned to my original speed, but I would first like to know if anyone else has the same experience.

Lawrence
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lawrence,

Exactly same issue for me. Receiving solid 6.96 Mbps up to 2300h 7/3/12. Dropped to constant 1.96Mbps from 0200h 8/3/12. Will also be contacting BT requesting return to my original speed. What a shower BT are!

Paul W

Update; Have just spoken to BT Broadband help in India. They agree there has been a 5 Mbps speed drop on my line. Promised to fix it and will call me back Wednesday morning to see if this has been achieved.

Now a further update; Different part of BT Called me back. Advised they were working on the issue for the area but would now take them up to 7 days to resolve. I pressed them on exactly what the problem was but the only answer was that there was a problem with the network. Despite pressing them BT refused to go into any further detail. I must say having the White Box data does make BT jump a little faster. Lets see what happens.

Paul W

Just joined the forum and was interested to see that I have the same problem.

I was happy and stable at 6Mbps then, suddenly, I seem top be limited to between 1.8 and 1.85.

As well as that my service drops out for a short time every day sometime between 7am and 9 am.

I too have complained and have been told that it will get fixed and that someone will call. I await the call with interest.

Douglas

Hi Doug,
    One of our white box community who is with PlusNet had the same problem and this morning PlusNet got him switched back to 6.9Mbps.They told him that BT had restricted him to a lower speed and PlusNet had the restriction removed.

I have just spent a soul-destroying 45 minutes talking to BT Helpline India, which achieved absolutely zilch. I have now been referred to a higher level of Help, which is promised to arrive in the next 24 hours. One thing I have noticed is that when I use the www.speedtester.bt.com site and do a test it indicates the IP profile for my line is 2Mbps. I believe it used to be 8 and so am believing BT must have imposed a 2Mbps limitation on my line, which I will now seek to have removed. PlusNet certainly seems more customer-friendly than BT Openreach because you automatically deal with a pukka engineer and not someone reading a script.
    Lawrence
    Last edited by stonewall100; 15-03-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewall100 View Post
    Hi Doug,
    One of our white box community who is with PlusNet had the same problem and this morning PlusNet got him switched back to 6.9Mbps.They told him that BT had restricted him to a lower speed and PlusNet had the restriction removed.

I have just spent a soul-destroying 45 minutes talking to BT Helpline India, which achieved absolutely zilch. I have now been referred to a higher level of Help, which is promised to arrive in the next 24 hours. One thing I have noticed is that when I use the www.speedtester.bt.com site and do a test it indicates the IP profile for my line is 2Mbps. I believe it used to be 8 and so am believing BT must have imposed a 2Mbps limitation on my line, which I will now seek to have removed. PlusNet certainly seems more customer-friendly than BT Openreach because you automatically deal with a pukka engineer and not someone reading a script.
    Lawrence
    I too have noticed an IP profile at 2Mbps and know that it was 8.

To add insult to injury I got a letter from BT today offering TV services over the phone line. I wonder how they will manage that?

Douglas
    Last edited by stonewall100; 15-03-2012 at 07:26 AM.

Update Friday 16/3; Still only receiving 1.9Mbps on my BT Broadband (see earlier posts). BT had promised to fix latest next Tuesday (20/3). Has anyone seen any improvement or received any updates from BT or other providers on what appears to be a general BT restriction/downgrade for Langton Green to less than "Mbps?

Paul W.

Hi Paul,
    Yesterday I spent a good hour talking to a BT Tier 2 engineer (also in India) and he said his system showed I was getting around 7Mbps. I did a BT speed test while he was still on the line and it showed I was getting 1.9Mbps. It also showed the max I could get was 2Mbps, rather than the 8Mbps that used to be shown. After several discussions with his supervisor he admitted he could only do things involving the connection between the Exchange and my house, and not back within the BT "machine". I have been promised a call from a BT Wholesale engineer today because it is BT Wholesale who are able to regulate what the Exchange gives us.
    Our neighbour friend who is with PlusNet has already has his 2Mbps limitation removed and is once again getting something like 6.8 Mbps . PlusNet appear far more effective that the BT Helpline. Firstly, he always seems to get a switched-on UK engineer on the line and, secondly, the engineer seems able to make things happen within BT Wholesale. Am considering moving to PlusNet (if I can keep my email address). I know they are owned by BT but they seem to provide Business Class service rather than the Economy Service BT themselves provide.

I have attached a printout of today's speed test that clearly shows my service has been limited to 2Mbps max (when I pay for "up to 8Mbps")
    Lawrence
    Attached Files Attached Files

Exclamation BT ADSL Max obligation is 0.6 Mbps ... nothing more

Chaps,

It is great that the Whiteboxes are helping lend credence to problems within the deployment of the BT managed infrastructure, however the sole obligation of BT when providing an ADSL Max (up to 8Mbit/s downstream, up to 448 Kbps upstream) service, is to provide you with 600Kbps downstream (0.6Mbps).

If you are getting at least that, they are under no obligation to do anything to improve it, no matter how good it was in the past.

The only way to change this arrangement, once and for all, is to break the dependence on BT infrastructure and copper. BT haven't upgraded our exchange to ADSL2+ (up to 20Mbps) yet as it's not "financially in the shareholders' interests". Why we should think this will change in the coming 5-10 years remains to be explained by BT or anyone else.

So ... watch this space. B4RS.org.uk will be getting some updates soon.

--Rob.
    --
    IM me to chat

From an advertising standards standpoint, if we are are told we can get "up to" 8Mbps but a deliberate cap of 2 Mbps is set then that is clearly not in line with the advertised theoretical limit because the supplying party is ensuring it can never be attained. Would seem to be grounds for an OFCOM enquiry.

Anyway, our PlusNet friend has succeeded in getting his speed back to 6.8-6.9 Mbps so lets see if BT do something this week for its BT customers.
    Lawrence